Thursday, June 26, 2008

Elbow makes sense (sort of)

After reading both arguments from Bartholomae and Elbow, as well as the responses, all in one setting, I needed some time to process what I had read. I felt at times I had trouble comprehending what each really meant as they talked in circles, covering different sides of their points and seemingly agreeing and disagreeing with each other and themselves at the same time, wanting to cover all of the points and making their arguments weaker in the process. Not having background knowledge on either, I had to go with what was in the articles. In the end, I sided more with the points of Elbow, by having a class that is student-centered. I believe that the students need to be empowered, or at least made to feel that they are empowered, to become the academic, the writer, or the academic writer that they can be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain...well, I felt your pain. Prior to our class meeting, I was in limbo. They both seem, at some point,to contradict themselves, yet agree with each other...what's that?

Like Michael Jackson, "You are not alone". However, you sided more with Elbow, Scott informed us that Bartholomae "won" the arguement, and here I am, still trying to make sense of it all.

Good job, Josh!

Unknown said...

Josh,

I,too, tend to side more with Elbow's argument even though it seems as though Bart. was the "winner" of the argument, at least in academic circles, but that seems only right in light of his take on things in regards to academic writing.

I tend to be more Elbowy in nature, but you're right to say they talked in circles, at times lessening the power of their own arguments by contradicting themselves.